And then I came across this recipe and initially was extremely uncertain about its lack of ingredients. What beans and rice and that's it? Yep that's it and it is absolutely totally and incredibly delicious, trust me. It only took about 20 minutes to cook and was filling and healthy and yummy-yummy-yum-yum.
Of course I didn't have any guacamole, or avocados or sour cream to hand and I am sure it would make this dish even more scrumptious - so do add if you have any knocking about.
Here it goes, Mexican Beans and Rice, for a super quick dinner.
- 1 400g tin of borlotti beans
- 1 400g tin of adzuki beans
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tsp smokey chipotle paste
- 75ml white wine or cider vinegar
- 2tbsp golden syrup or honey
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- brown rice, to serve (we used the microwave one for speed)
- a handful of chopped parsley, to serve
- grated cheddar, to serve
- guacamole, sour cream or natural Greek yoghurt, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Once hot add the onion and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes until starting to brown and soften.
- Add the beans and heat through for a couple of minutes.
- Mix in the chipotle paste, golden syrup and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Leave to bubble for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the vinegar has evaporated a little.
- Serve over brown rice and top with the chopped parsley and condiments of your choice.